The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) is inviting suitably qualified candidates for temporary positions as Examination Assistants for a 3 year contract period from 1st April 2021 to 31st March 2024.
An Examination Assistant is a person who works for the Department of Education in a temporary capacity at Marking Centres and Capturing Centres where examination related work is performed.
POSITION: EXAMINATION ASSISTANT
(Ad hoc / Temporary appointments during peak examination periods)
Per hour for actual hours worked on an ad hoc basis. Remuneration as per tariffs prescribed in the Public Administrative Measures (PAM), Chapter D
- GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS:
- All applicants must submit a Z83 application form that is dually completed, originally signed, only the version of the Z83 attached to this advert will be accepted, no other versions should therefore be used.
- All applicants must submit a 2-page CV clearly stating education qualifications, listing all work experience in chronological order, stating reasons for leaving positions and contact details.
- Applicants must be medical fit as the position may require you to perform manual labour.
- Successful applicants will perform duty on an ad hoc basis, as and when required by the Directorate Examinations Administration.
- All applicants must be in possession of a Senior Certificate of Nations Senior Certificate.
- Applicants must be prepared to sign a security and confidentiality agreement and the employment may be terminated if any of the security protocol are breached.
- The successful applicants will form part of a poole of employees and employment during the entire peak period is therefore not guaranteed.
- A clear and legible certified copy of your Senior Certificate or National Senior Certificate (Not older than three (3) months) and certified copies of any other qualifications obtained.
- A clear and legible certified copy of South African Identify Documents (Not older than three (3) months).
- Indicate 3 contactable references willing to act as referees.
- Applicants have no criminal records.
- An Affidavit indicating that no immediate family members (e.g. brother, sister, sons, daughter, father, mother, care givers or cousins) living in the same house and writing the October/November 2021 NSC examination, must be attached.
- Kindly note that the aforementioned supporting documents will not be returned.
- Applications without a completed application form (Z83) and/or the requested documents/information will not be considered.
- SUITABILITY CHECK:
- The appointment will be subject to personnel suitability checks that include qualifications, previous employment, criminal records as well as reference checking, as directed by the Department of Public Service and Administration.
- All nominated candidates will be vetted by Dots Africa, who will compile a personal credential verification report. Applicants with a risk legend stating “Risk” for any criteria after the vetting process has been completed will not be appointed.
- Communication will be limited to those applicants who have been short-listed.
- Applicants are respectfully informed that, if no notification of appointment is received within 3 months after the closing date, they must accept that their application(s) was/were unsuccessful.
- SELECTION PROCESS:
- It is expected of short-listed candidates to be available for selection interviews on a date, time and place as determined by the Western Cape Education Department.
- Candidates will be required to complete a work assignment.
- The WCED reserves the right not to make an appointment to any of the advertised posts.
- Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, and depending on which Alert Level the country will be, interviews might be conducted via Microsoft Teams or Zoom
- FORWARDING ADDRESS FOR APPLICATIONS
- Due date 30 July 2021 at 16:00
- Applications may be posted, or hand delivered to (clearly marked for the attention of the indicated official):
DIRECTORATE: EXAMINATIONS ADMINISTRATION
ALEXANDRA PRECINCT, BLOCK B HAVEN ROAD, MAITLAND
ATT: MRS S WILLOUGHBY
PLEASE PLACE APPLICATIONS IN THE BOX MARKED: EXAMINATION ASSISTANT POSITIONS
- Applications can also be emailed to Brown@westerncape.gov.za.
- Late applications that are received as a result of ignoring this rule will not be considered.
- The Western Cape Education Department will not accept responsibility for any late applications due to a delay in postal service.
CLOSING DATE: 30 JULY 2021 at 16:00 (No late applications will be accepted)
Directorate: Examinations Administration
Temporary Employment (Ad hoc appointment)
Examination Assistants (35 ad hoc posts)
From 1 April 2021 – 31 March 2024
Remuneration: R74.25 (Hourly rate)
Examination assistants are paid per hour, all inclusive, for actual hours worked only and therefore they will only be appointed as the workload and need increase. If there is no work, the examination assistants will not be called for duty and will thus not be employed.
Job purpose: To render support services within the department in the area of examinations. To ensure the integrity of information and confidential documents. To exercise at all times a safe and secure environment.
Job functions / Key performance areas: Transporting documents, loading and off-loading of vehicles/trucks, counting, packing and distribution of examination material • Checking and scanning of documents • Data capturing • Filing of documents • Make photostat copies • Deliver and collection of examination material • Answer telephone enquiries • Deal with enquiries from schools • Unlock Smartlock seals/bags • Assist with Client Services • Prepared to work long hours during peak periods
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A National Senior Certificate – Matriculants of 2018, 2019 and 2020 may apply
- All PAY Interns of 2018 / 2019 /2020 may apply.
- No immediate family members (e.g. brother, sister, sons, daughter, father, mother, care givers or cousins) living in the same house and writing the October/November 2021 NSC examination.
- No criminal record.
- All shortlisted candidates will undergo a practical assessment.
- Must be able to work extended hours and organize own transport to and from different work venues.
Recommendation: Examination experience is an advantage
Competencies / Skills:
- Good numerical and accuracy skills
- Computer literate
- Good telephone manners
- Physical ability to perform labour intensive tasks
- ability to operate copy and fax machines
- good communication skills in at least two of the official languages of the Western Cape Province
- must have good people skills
- good listening skills.
A high level of responsibility and reliability; Honest and polite; Ethical standards and helpful; Confidentiality; good interpersonal skills; active listener and analytical thinker; ability to work accurately under pressure and meet deadlines; must be able to work in teams; self-motivated and disciplined.
Enquiries: Ms S Willoughby Tel (021) 467 2923
CLOSING DATE: 30 July 2021 at 16:00 (No late applications will be considered)